Pressure-Sensitive Tapes: Sticky Solution for All Situations
Ever since it was discovered that adhesives could be stuck to a thin strip of paper or plastic, we haven't stopped rolling out adhesive tapes of varying types and purposes.
First developed in 1845 by Dr. Horace Day and commercially introduced in the market in the early 20th century, adhesive tapes are considered one of mankind’s best inventions ever.
Adhesive tapes are used for just about anything. In fact, adhesive tapes have become an inevitable part of our daily lives, making them a lot easier in many ways.
Adhesive Tape vs. Pressure-Sensitive Tape
An adhesive tape is a product that combines a strip of material with an adhesive film, which is used to bond or join objects. Adhesive tapes are used as an easy alternative to screws, nails, fasteners or even welding, depending on the requirements of the application.
Also known as PSA tape, self-stick tape, sticky tape, sellotape or just tape, the pressure-sensitive tape is a relatively thin flexible material with a single or double-sided coating that sticks with the application of pressure.
How Does Pressure-Sensitive Tapes Work?
Pressure-sensitive tapes consist of a pressure-sensitive adhesive coated onto a backing material such as paper, plastic film, cloth, or metal foil.
While some types of PSA tapes come with a removable release liner that protects the adhesive until the liner is removed, some are equipped with layers of adhesives, primers, release agents, filaments, printing, etc. made for specific functions.
PSA tapes adhere to a wide range of substrates when applied to most clean and dry surfaces with pressure. They do not need solvent, water, or heat to activate the adhesive. The bond is influenced directly by the amount of pressure that is used to apply the adhesive to the surface.
Types of Pressure Sensitive Tapes
- Single-Coated: An adhesive is coated on one side of a material (Facestock), and is protected by a silicone-coated release liner.
- Double-Coated: A carrier is coated on both sides with PSA tape. Here, the adhesive carrier can be any material such as plastic films, tissue, nonwovens, etc. Common uses involve laminates and carpet tape.
- Transfer Tape: An unsupported mass of adhesive film coated on a release liner that has a release coat on both sides. Transfer tapes offer good conformability to irregular surfaces.
- Self Wound: A carrier that is coated on one side with PSA and on the other with a release coating. There is no release liner with these types of products. Carton sealing, Duct and Masking are all examples of self-wound tapes.
Types of Adhesives Used in PSA Tapes
- Rubber: Adhesives that are based on natural or synthetic rubbers and formulated with tackifying resins, oils and anti-oxidants. Rubber is the most cost-effective adhesive that offers quick stick capability. However, the rubber adhesive is not recommended for high heat applications.
- Acrylic: Adhesives formulated with acrylic polymers and usually has a better long-term aging and more resistance to solvents and environmental factors. Acrylic adhesives generally develop a stronger bond than the traditional Rubber adhesive and can take higher temperatures.
- Silicone: Formulated with Silicone polymers and the only adhesive that bonds well with silicone substrates. Silicone adhesives are expensive and have a very low initial tack, but can withstand higher temperatures than both Rubber and Acrylic adhesives.
Pressure-sensitive tapes come with a wide range of advantages and here is a quick list of some of them:
- PSA tapes use thinner, lighter materials and form bonds with a wide range of surfaces, reducing assembly time for your final product.
- Provide uniform thickness and gap-filling characteristics while insulating against noise and vibration.
- Eliminate the need for mechanical fastenings or surface refinishing.
- No brushes or application tools are required and can be done in seconds.
- No surplus of adhesive or waste of materials will be there after the application.
- The finished bond is stress-free, without creating stress in the joint when changing state.
- Extremely inexpensive compared to other adhesives.
Choosing the Right Type of Tape - How Can We Help?
When choosing the right type of PSA tape for your project, we ask you the following questions:
What surface do you want to stick the adhesive to?
What are the conditions that you want to expose the tape to? Is the temperature hot and the environment humid? Or is there lots of gritty wind?
Why are you using this particular PSA? What's your intention in it? What's it holding together or what do you want it to do?
How do you plan on applying the tape?
Are you using the PSA as a permanent or temporary solution for a problem?
Our experts will help you make a decision based on the answers to these questions.
What Blue Rhine Offers
Pressure-sensitive tapes are indispensable in every industry. They are considered the universal solution that simply and conveniently solves a multitude of fastening challenges.
Being one of the leading suppliers of the best adhesive solutions in the GCC region, we offer a full range of high-quality pressure-sensitive tapes that include double-side red tapes, double-sided clear and foam tapes, VHB tapes, Velcro tapes, duct tapes, and packing tapes, among many others, in the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
Green up Your Print Acts with PVC-Free Print Media
LEXAN™ MARGARD™ HLG 5 Sheet – Ideal Solution for Vehicle Armor Applications
UV vs Latex Printing
Difference Between Consumer TVs & Professional TV Displays
The Importance of Eco-friendly Products in Print Media
A Comprehensive Guide to Using Vehicle Wrapping Solutions
Philips Video Wall Series – The Ultimate Signage Display Solution
Veilish – The Natural Self-Adhesive Printable Window Fabric
Oppboga Excellent Boards for Printing
Hybrid Monster : JHF H3370 Hybrid UV Printer
Eco-Dec: The Eco-Friendly Solution for Solvent Recycling
From Rough to Refined; Surface Revamped by GF 285 RoughMark™ Vinyl
Desert Board: A Revolutionary Step Towards Sustainable Living
The Power of Thermoplastics in the Signage Industry
An Insight into Digital Signage & Its Positive Impact on Sustainability
8 Indoor Signage Categories & Their Usage
An Analysis of Outdoor Signage Categories & Their Purposes
Everything You Need to Know About Acrylic Mirror Sheets
Digital Signage - an Overview
A Guide to Various Signage Groups & Their Purposes
Get our latest posts in your inbox.